Scour is a search â€œaidâ€ for web browsers and a toolbar; it is a rogue search engine redirector that is included with downloads of various shareware installers (you know, the ones you have to be careful enough to unclick the “Install this along with” button every time). Scour makes money by sending your search links to commercial advertising sites instead of the one you chose. These sites can in turn redirect you to porn or other sites.
In general, you cannot trust the uninstallers provided by software manufacturers who engage in these practices. Here is how to manually remove Scour and other rogue search toolbars from your browsers.
Go to Manage Search Engines in Firefox and remove any entries for Scour
Check if you have Scour Toolbar in your Firefox menu > Add Ons and remove any items for Scour. Check both the Plug ins tab and the Extensions tab (on older versions, Tools > Add-ons).
Set the Home page to the search engine of your choice (the default Google search entry is http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q= )
Remove Scour from the search engine default for unrecognized pages
- In the address bar enter â€œabout:configâ€ and hit Enter
- Bypass the warranty screen(s) by clicking
- On the next screen enter â€œScourâ€ in the Filter window (a search in the config)
- If Scour shows up, highlight each of these entries one at a time, right click and choose â€œresetâ€.
- When finished, close the file.
- Click on the wrench icon in the Google Chrome address bar and from the drop down menu select Settings > Extensions or Tools > Extensions â€” depending on your version
(or enter chrome://settings/extensions in the location bar)
- Check if any items of Scour Toolbar are listed in the browser Extensions. If so, click on uninstall to remove the toolbar(s) from the browser.
- Close the window. Choose the wrench icon again and depending on your version choose Settings > Settings or Options from the drop down menu.
- Check the Home Page setting under Basics to see if Scour is listed. Replace it with another search engine that you want to use for your home page.
- Click Manage search engines, check if Scour is listed on the page. Hover your mouse over a Scour entry, click the X icon to uninstall it. Go back to the previous page and pick another available search engine as the default browser search engine.
- Check the On Start Up entry in Settings, click on Go to a specific pageâ€¦ and enter http://www.Google.com or your preferred search engine.
If you donâ€™t have any preferences and settings in Internet Explorer that you particularly want to keep, you can do a reset of the IE Settings http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/browser-hijacking.aspx
Otherwise you can remove it manually
First delete the Scour Toolbar from Add Ons
- Open Internet Explorer and click on â€œToolsâ€.
- Select â€œManage Add Onsâ€, Click on Toolbars and Extensions, and search for the Scour in the list of add-ons.
- Right Click on the Scour Toolbar entry and select â€œdisableâ€ (or highlight and click the Disable button).
- Click on â€œOkâ€
- Now select Search Providers.
- Left click to highlight “Scour – Search Socially” and click Remove button to remove
- Do the same with “Scour Search”
- Click on â€œOkâ€
- Restart Internet Explorer
Next restore your home page to the one you want.
Remove Scour from the search engine default for unrecognized pages (note this requires editing your Registry. Back it up first. If you are not confident, refer the work to someone experienced)
- Open â€œRegEditâ€ through the launch menu.
- Find this entry
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\About URLs\Tabs
- Change the entry that points to Scour search, to the search engine you want (Google for example).
After removing and resetting, I would recommend starting in Safe mode (F8) and running Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware to check the machine and registry. Running CCleaner to clean the registry wouldnâ€™t hurt either. Then test your browser(s) by opening them and typing in some nonsense in the URL/location bar to make sure the defaults have been successfully changed.
You may have the Scour Uninstaller still remaining on your machine
Go to C:\Program Files\ and delete any folder related to Scour
Go to C:\Program Files (X86) and delete any folder related to Scour
Restart the machine in Safe Mode (F8) and run CCleaner
- Open CCleaner,
- Click Tools,
- If you see Scour, select Scour toolbar from the list,
- Click Uninstall.
- Run the Registry tool,
- Run the cleaner.
Manual removal of files: Search your computer for these files
- C:\Program Files\scourtoolbar\install.ico
- C:\Program Files\scourtoolbar\scourtoolbar.dll
- C:\Program Files\scourtoolbar\toolbar.ini
- C:\Program Files\scourtoolbar\uninstall.exe